I’m thinking of letting my property

If you’re thinking of letting your property, call us and we will help you. We’ll provide you with an accurate rental valuation and draw-up all the necessary paperwork.

All you need to do is then complete a Letter of Instruction and your property will be marketed to prospective tenants.

There is no initial charge for this service.

How long will it take to find a Tenant?

If your rental property is presented at its best and priced to suit the prevailing market then it should take no more than a month to let.

This can, of course, vary according to the time of year.

How long will the tenancy last?

Most of our properties are let for an initial fixed period of six months, although sometimes it suits both Landlords and Tenants for this to be 12 months or longer.

The majority of tenancies ‘run on’ after this initial fixed period until ended by either party giving relevant notice; for Landlords, this period is three months and for the Tenant it is one month.

How much will I know about my Tenant?

When a suitable tenant has been found for your property, they will be fully referenced and you will be advised of their name, occupation and personal circumstances.

If you are a local Landlord and would like to meet your Tenant this can be arranged, but it’s by no means obligatory for a managed tenancy.

If you are managing your own tenancy then you will, of course, meet your Tenant and they will be given your contact details on moving in.

When do you collect rent?

For Fully Managed and Rent Collection arrangements, all rent is payable on the first of the month, with the first and last months of a tenancy calculated on a pro-rata basis.

Our commission and any other deductions for repairs, insurance on the let property etc will be deducted and the balance paid to you.

We will provide you with a monthly statement which details all transactions on your account.

When will I receive my rent?

Allowing time for the rent to reach our account, and to be processed, you should find that the monthly rent reaches your account by about the 10th of the month.

However, this can be affected by the timing of weekends, bank holidays etc.

Who is responsible for repairs in a let property?

As the Landlord, you will be responsible for ensuring that your property, including its fixtures and fittings, is in a good state of repair.

Repairs that are the Landlord’s responsibility are billed by the contractor and paid when the next rent is received.

Of course, if the repair is the result of neglect on the part of the Tenant then the invoice will be directed to them.

We will be happy to discuss your individual maintenance requirements prior to the commencement of the tenancy.

What happens at the end of the tenancy?

For Managed and Rent Collection properties, when notice is given we notify you and immediately start to re-market your property to ensure that we minimise the void period between lets.

We also advise the Tenant on cleaning requirements. When the keys are received from the Tenant, our independent Inventory clerk checks the property against the original inventory, taking account of the nature and length of the tenancy, and provides a written report to us.

Any deductions from the deposit are negotiated by us on your behalf in line with the requirements of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

For Introduction Plus landlords, a copy of the final report will be sent to you so that you can negotiate the deposit return directly with your Tenants.

What insurance do I need for a let property?

If you are considering letting your property you must advise your insurers because not all companies will cover rental property and not all insurers will provide the detailed cover required by Landlords.

However, thanks to our contacts with specialists in the business of providing insurance for rented properties we can offer our Landlords insurance policies designed specifically for the risks faced when renting a property.

For example:

Buildings & Contents Insurance including:

  • Accidental damage
  • Malicious damage by the Tenant
  • Loss of rent when the let property is uninhabitable through an insured event such as flooding
  • Property owners’ liability cover of £5,000,000.
  • Buildings’ policies include £20,000 of contents cover free of charge.

Contents-Only Insurance:

  • Bear in mind that even if your property is let unfurnished – or is a furnished/unfurnished flat where the buildings insurance is included in your maintenance charges – your buildings policy will not cover you for replacement of curtains, carpets, white goods and light fixtures if they are damaged through an insured event.

Morgan Associates Rent & Legal Insurance Policy

Peace of mind for less than £10 per month!

Morgan Associates are directly regulated by the FSA, rather than being just an ‘Introducer’ of insurance business, so we are able to handle insurance claims on behalf of our Landlords, which many letting agents are now prohibited from doing.

However thoroughly tenants are vetted, there can never be a cast-iron guarantee that a Tenant won’t default on their rent, especially in times of economic uncertainty.  On the rare occasion that a Tenant continually fails to make their rent payments when due, this will result in notice being served to end the tenancy.

If the Tenant refuses to vacate at the end of the notice period then it may be necessary to go to court to obtain a Possession Order and the average legal costs of an eviction can be several hundred pounds.

For less than £10* a month the Rent & Legal insurance policy that we offer can give you complete peace of mind, knowing that the following protection is in place:

  • Rent paid until vacant possession is obtained (less one month’s rent as the excess which can usually be recovered from the Tenant’s deposit).
  • Legal costs in obtaining vacant possession including court costs, solicitor’s fees and bailiff costs if it comes to that point.

Also included:

  • Legal costs arising from tenancy disputes, disputes with contractors or property disputes

* This cost is for fully managed properties receiving a rent of less than £2,500 per month. For properties in excess of £2,500 per month and for non-managed properties, please refer to the letting fees here.

How is income tax collected for overseas Landlords?

All income generated in this country is assessable for tax, regardless of the residential status of the owner.

A Landlord is classed as non-resident in the UK if they are out of the country for more than six months in any tax year.

For Managed Properties:  In accordance with the Finance Act 1995, agents are required to deduct tax at the basic rate from rental income net of expenses prior to paying monies to overseas Landlords. The agent must send the tax deducted to HMRC on a quarterly basis (in June, September, December and March).

However, under this Act, HMRC introduced a system of self-assessment and all overseas Landlords may apply to the HMRC for approval to be paid the rent without tax being deducted. If this is granted the agent is issued with an Approval Number for the Landlord, whereby they are allowed to pass the rental monies to the landlord without deduction of tax. The overseas Landlord would then settle any tax due directly to HMRC in an annual return.

Should you move abroad whilst in the middle of a tenancy you must advise us of this so that we can ascertain whether tax should be deducted from your rental income.

We strongly recommend that you apply for self-assessment and we can provide you with the appropriate application form.

We cannot file this application on your behalf – it must be done by you. If a property is owned by more than one overseas Landlord each Landlord must submit an application for approval.

For Non-Managed Properties:  Your Tenant will be required to contact HMRC to determine whether they need to deduct tax from the rent they pay.

They may be required to do this if:

  • the rent they pay is over £100 a week and
  • they pay the rent direct to a non-resident Landlord
  • they pay the rent to a person outside the UK

they pay the rent to a person who is not a letting agent in the UK

Property Valuation

ARLA Property MarkSafe AgentThe Property OmbudsmanNAEA Property Mark